We’re looking for an experienced Technical Lead to join us and help us deliver top quality services. You’ll set the direction and act as the technical expert in one of our Agile development teams, working in our office in Wrocław.
Are you an experienced Technical Lead, or maybe an experienced Software Engineer ready for your next challenge? Perhaps you prefer to think of yourself as an Expert Developer or just a really good engineer who’s great with people? This could be the dream job you’ve been waiting for.
- In this role, you’ll build on your proven experience of software development and add in the ability to lead and inspire your team.
- In footballing terms, you’re the Captain, not the Manager. You’ll still be in a hands-on technical role, working day-to-day in a Scrum team, but you’ll be the one your colleagues look to for support, to set their technical direction, help them out of sticky situations, and advise them on the right approach to a problem. Our clients will know you as the most dynamic member of the team (though not necessarily the most senior in years) and as someone they can rely upon to answer their questions and explain difficult technical stuff in a down-to-earth way.
- You’ll have excellent knowledge of software development. We mainly use C++ or Java, so experience with those is really helpful, but if you can show expertise in other languages, good theoretical knowledge and an ability to learn quickly we’d still love to hear from you.
How You’ll Spend Your Time:
- You’ll generally be part of an established Agile (Scrum) team. While Scrum teams don’t officially have leaders, you’ll be able to use your experience to offer support and advice to other members of the team.
- You will be working on the next generation of TV streaming box.
- Our customers value our expertise and industry experience, so they will look to you for advice, feedback, and solutions to a variety of technical problems. This means you’ll need to be knowledgeable, approachable and adaptable; stepping in to assist proactively, wherever you see a potential bump in the road.
What You’ll Need To Bring:
- Really strong, hands-on, software engineering experience
- Great knowledge of modern software engineering techniques – such as object-oriented design, unit testing/test driven development, CI/CD, use of code analysis tools
- You are likely to have experience of developing in languages such as C, C++ or Java, but you’ll also be comfortable with the idea of learning new languages and technologies quickly
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum teams
- Experience mentoring and supporting other engineers on your team. While this doesn’t need to be in a formal management/leadership capacity, you will be a “people person” and a very strong team player, and you’ll know how to encourage a team to achieve it’s technical goals and hit deadlines
- A desire to grow your career – you’ll be the sort of person who is always up for a challenge, interested to learn new things and gain new experience
- Outstanding communication skills; you’ll be confident discussing technical matters with both technical and non-technical people
Helpful tech skills:
Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required – ability and willingness to learn is just as important.
C++11 / STL or frameworks such as Qt • Embedded or mobile Java, JNI • Linux development / kernel / driver / networking code • Android / AOSP development • RTOS • GCC / GDB • TDD and Unit Testing frameworks such as Google Test / Mockito / JUnit • Software development for consumer electronics, Internet of Things, or TV • Audio, Video & TV standards • Networking protocols and standards including TCP/IP, Wi-Fi, UPnP / DLNA, HLS, MPEG-DASH • Cloud development for AWS / Google Cloud / Microsoft Azure • Agile / Scrum / Kanban • UML • Use of planning tools e.g. Jira, MS Project
What we'll give you in return:
- A competitive salary which will grow with your career
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow, as well as learn from talented colleagues
- 25 days' holiday as standard, rising an extra day for every calendar year you stay with us (up to a maximum of 31 days)
- Access to Headspace meditation app
- Flexibility in your working hours and home office
Consult Red is a trusted partner to the digital media industry and beyond, driving innovation and delivering support through the entire product development journey.
We apply our cutting-edge experience in product development, hardware, embedded and cloud technology to help companies in all sectors to deliver connected devices and systems.
We take good care of our engineers not only salary and benefits-wise but also when it comes to their place of service delivery. Our teams work from fully equipped laboratories in Yorkshire in the UK, Wroclaw in Poland and Los Angeles, California.
And currently, having taken their equipment, office chairs and favourite coffee cups with them, our team members #stayathome and work safely from there. Still, we make our office available for our engineers - if you prefer working from the office, you're free to do so!
Our Recruitment Process:
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of things. This will then go directly to the Hiring Manager review. We'll often do a short first stage telephone interview to find out more about you and to check that the role would be a good fit for your requirements.
Then, if you progress to interview stage, we'll try to cover off everything we can in one Skype sitting, to make the process quicker for you - which means our interviews can be slightly longer than average. We hope you'll leave the meeting with a real feel for the job and what it's like to work with us.